IU Maurer School of Law names 2014 Stewart Fellows for foreign externships
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Fourteen students who are studying at the Indiana University Maurer School of Law have been named Milton Stewart Fellows and will participate as summer interns in Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Japan, South Korea and Thailand through the law school's Center on the Global Legal Profession.
The center's unique program offers students experiences in a variety of settings, including corporations, highly reputed law firms and rights-based non-governmental organizations. The students have been named Milton Stewart Fellows in honor of a generous alumnus, Milton Stewart, JD'71, of Portland, Ore.
"The Stewart Fellows program is in keeping with the center's mission of developing our students' ability to practice in the globalized legal environment as business lawyers, public-sector lawyers and social justice advocates," said professor Jayanth K. Krishnan, director of the IU Maurer School of Law’s Center on the Global Legal Profession. "We are grateful to Milt and Judi Stewart and to the many individuals and organizations participating in this program throughout the world. Without their support, this program would not be possible."
Krishnan added that nearly 60 students have been named as Stewart Fellows since the program was launched in 2010.
"We are so pleased that the program is growing," said professor Christiana Ochoa, an expert on governance and human rights in Latin America. "Not only have we increased the number of students participating in the Stewart Fellows Program, but we have also expanded the presence of the program into areas of the world that are important to our students. We are especially pleased to add Argentina and Thailand to our list of participating countries this year."
This year's Stewart Fellows and the countries and organizations where they will be completing their internships are:
- Patrick Green and Pablo Puente -- Marval O’Farrell & Mairal, Buenos Aires
- Joel Bonilla Blondet and Briana Yuh -- the law firm of Demarest Advogados and Votorantim Group, a São Paulo-based diversified industrial conglomerate with interests in finance, energy, steel and paper.
- Mengying Guan -- Zhong Lun Law Firm, Beijing
- Alexander Avtgis -- Jagori, an NGO advocating women's rights
- Rachel Dockery and Emily Swartz -- Novus Law LLC and Koura & Co., a law firm in Delhi
- Eric Jones -- the law firm of Nishith Desai Associates, Delhi office
- William McCarthy -- the law firm of Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A. Shroff & Co.
- Ryan O’Laughlin -- the law firm of S&R Associates, Delhi office
- Donovan Wood -- Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative, an NGO supporting human rights based in New Delhi
- Monica Seunghyun Lee -- L&J Law Office, LPC, Tokyo
- Eun Chan Daniel Kim -- Kyobo Axa, the investment affiliate of Kyobo Life Insurance and Axa IM, Seoul
- Jackson Beach -- the law firm of Tilleke & Gibbins, Bangkok office
The Center on the Global Legal Profession was established in 2009. Its first director was William Henderson, who served until 2014, and it is now being led by Krishnan. The center has a three-part focus: advancing academic research and practical knowledge about the global legal profession; providing students with opportunities for hands-on learning about the law in other countries; and building global partnerships with other law schools to enhance educational opportunities. Contributions to the center can be made to:
Arthur M. Lotz Office of Alumni and Development
Indiana University Maurer School of Law
211 S. Indiana Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47405
Contributions also may be made online at the IU Foundation website for Maurer School of Law donations.