Eight Indiana teachers honored as Armstrong Teacher Educators
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The Indiana University School of Education has chosen eight teachers from across the state of Indiana as the Martha Lea and Bill Armstrong Teacher Educators for the 2016-17 academic year.
The Armstrong Teacher Educator Award brings some of Indiana’s best educators to work with School of Education faculty and students in the classroom, on research projects and in field experiences. Additionally, the award provides financial support for these teachers to pursue their own professional development.
“This new cohort of exemplary teachers shares a deep commitment to helping all students learn and grow,” said Rob Kunzman, Martha Lea and Bill Armstrong Chair in Teacher Education. “The creativity, passion and expertise of these educators is truly inspiring. Our IU teacher candidates will learn so much from their wisdom of practice.”
Armstrong Teacher Educators are nominated by superintendents and principals from across Indiana. Nominees are outstanding teachers and leaders in their schools who also demonstrate a strong potential to work as mentors for pre-service teachers.
“We strive to connect our undergraduates with the practical realities and exemplary practices employed by excellent teachers in the schools,” said Dean Terry Mason. “The Armstrong program is one of the most important and effective ways that we accomplish this. We are very pleased to have another outstanding group of Armstrong teachers joining us this year.”
The 2016-17 Armstrong Teacher Educators are:
- Stacy Blosser, West Noble Elementary School, Ligonier, fourth grade
- Melony Boyd, Westlake Elementary School, Indianapolis, second grade
- Linda Golston, New Tech Innovative Institute, Gary, English
- Scott Hill, Homestead High School, Fort Wayne, English
- Andrew Hodson, North Central High School, Indianapolis, social studies
- Eric Park, Chapel Hill 7th and 8th Grade Center, Indianapolis, music
- Kara Parker, Bloomington High School South, science and math
- Jean Russell, Haverhill Elementary School, Fort Wayne, literacy specialist
Since 1997, more than 160 teachers have been selected as Armstrong Teacher Educators. The awards are made possible through the generous support of the Martha Lea and Bill Armstrong Fund in Teacher Education and the Cook Group companies. Learn more about the program at Armstrong Teacher Educator Award website.
- School of Education
- Office 812-856-8585